Anniersay lunch at The White Horse, Romsey

As with last year, my husband and I headed to The White Horse (TWH) in Romsey to celebrate our wedding anniversary. For us, we love that we can experience incredible food so close to home. When we moved to Hampshire a few years ago, I was apprehensive about the move and left the choice of where to live up to my then fiancé (brave I know!). He decided Romsey would be the right place for us and I've not looked back since. For me, The White Horse is a little gem that has made me love the village even more.


The menu never disappoints and we were extremely excited to try their latest offerings. For starters, we were intrigued by the Slow cooked beef blade 'lasagne' and I love Seared Scallops. When the 'lasagne' arrived we were surprised at is appearance, but taste wise, it was incredible. The beef was cooked to perfection and was accompanied by a stuffed pasta encasing a cheesy sauce, a twist on a classic lasagne for sure.

Slow cooked beef blade 'lasagne'

Seared Scallops, crispy oxtail, fennel & apple salad, celeriac puree

On the mains and I am a huge venison fan, so as soon as I saw Hampshire Venison, roasted loin, slow cooked shoulder, smoked aubergine and pak coi on the menu, I knew that would be my choice. My husband however went for the Noah's Arc free range chicken, peas & smoked bacon, potato fondant and onion jus. Weirdly, whenever I go out for dinner, I have a real thing against ordering chicken. I don't know if its because we cook with it so regularly at home. However, when it arrived, I did have a little bit of food envy...until my meal was placed in front of me at least that is!

Noah's Arc free range chicken, peas & smoked bacon, potato fondant and onion jus

Venison, roasted loin, slow cooked shoulder, smoked aubergine and pak coi 

Dessert at TWH are always my favourite course. On paper, you think you know what will be arriving, but they send out something so creative that captures the flavour you expect but presented in a totally new and different way. I feel this is where the staff really let their creative side show. I opted for the Banoffee Pie which as you can see below, really was not how I thought it would look. My husband on the other hand decided to opt for a dessert he has had a few times...the Chocolate Delice. Decedent in flavour and the ultimate glutenous end to a meal.


The service was absolutely impeccable all the way through, as always. It was nice to see some familiar faces, which sounds odd, but it's quiet nice to go back and see that the staff are sticking around. There was a short time when there seemed to be quiet high turn over of the waiting staff but its good to see this seems to have settled down.

The use of local ingredient throughout the menu and the added perk of being so close to home makes The White Horse in Romsey the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion or just to indulge in great food.

(All pictures taken & owned by SistersDineOut)

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner, The Goat, Timsbury

Overnight stay, The Baraset Barn, Alveston

Summer Garden Afternoon Tea, The Ivy, Winchester