Feathered Nest Country Inn

Set in the picturesque village of Nether Westcote, the Feathered Nest Country Inn is perched beautifully within the Cotswolds hills. With perfect views on sunny day, it is the ideal location for a chilled glass of wine with friends or a lavish lunch.



We decided both of these options sounded good, so at the end of September we met with some friends to take in the views and the food on offer. The first thing you notice as you enter the bar is the 'unusual' choice of bar stools. Rather than your standard (boring) stool, you are instead greeted by a saddle! A rather interesting and unique idea, I love that they have added a little playfulness to the room.


The wine list on offer is vast, but their sommelier is on hand to guide you if, like me, you are a little overwhelmed by the impressive collection. After selecting a tasty red, we headed outside to enjoy the views and ponder over the lunch menu. If you are wondering, the wine we were recommended was Tancredi 2012 from Terre Siciliane, Italy. Given the extremely mild weather, we wanted a red with lots of body and flavour and the sommelier suggested this wine would give us a full flavour whilst suiting the warm weather. A fantastic recommendation.

If I'm honest, I could have quite happily opted for every option on the Nest Menu. Before we picked our courses, we were advised by our friends that if there is one course you MUST eat while visiting the Feathered Nest, it's their Soufflé.

First thing on the menu for me was the salmon while my other half ordered the tomato. Both dishes arrived looking immaculate and tasted as beautiful as they looked. The freshness of the ingredients for the seemly 'simple' starters meant they didn't need to be surrounded by extravagant accoutrements. Balanced and fresh, a great start to any meal.

Salmon, beetroot, black garlic, dill
Tomato, wagyu beef salami, granite
This is going to sound odd, but at the time, I remember thoroughly enjoying the deer course. I recall the meat being succulent and melting in the mouth...however, when I come back to it write about, the memory of their flavours evade me. I don't think that's because it wasn't a fabulous dish, I think for me, it didn't stand out as much as the other courses. I don't want anyone reading this to think this dish wasn't worth ordering, like I say, at the time, I remember enjoying this dish so much. Maybe I just need to go back and eat it again?

Fallow deer, celeriac, elderberry, chocolate
This wood pigeon was probably the most surprising course for me. I've had pigeon before and I thought it was so overwhelming in taste, so much so that it was just too much. However, again on the recommendation of our friends, I decided to trust their opinion and choose the pigeon. When it arrived, I was just as shocked about how it was presented as I was to find out how delicious it was. Due to the way in which the meat was sliced and the flavours of the balsamic, the dish tasted divine. So perfectly balanced, I could have happily had another!

Wood pigeon, 25 year old balsamic

Next on the menu, Monkfish with Crab and Thai green curry. I'm salivating just thinking about this course. With delicate meats like monkfish and crab, its vital to ensure you don't overpower their flavours. The equally delicate Thai green curry added the right amount of spices to compliment the meats.

Monkfish, soft shell crab, Thai green curry

And last but by no means lease, the desserts. Soufflé and sticky toffee. I don't know about you, but when I think sticky toffee, I think heavy and bloating. I do enjoy a sticky toffee but normally I find it just too heavy at the end of a large meal. Not this one! Filled with all the homeliness you want, but with a fluffy and light sponge. So very satisfying but you don't feel heavy or unable to move having enjoyed the experience so much. 

But what about the soufflé? Packing a punch due to the blackberry, it was perfectly crispy on top and silky smooth inside. A real pleasure for the senses and for me, the perfect way to end a flawless meal.

Sticky Toffee, clotted cream, lemon, pecans

Soufflé, blackberry, frozen yoghurt
To conclude, there is nothing even slightly negative I could possibly say about The Feathered Nest Country Inn. The staff were beyond polite, helpful and knowledgeable and the environment was so chilled and relaxed. The hours flew by and not once did we feel like we had overstayed our welcome. I cannot wait for my next visit and would happily recommend The Feathered Nest to anyone and everyone.
  (All pictures taken & owned by SistersDineOut)

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner, The Goat, Timsbury

Overnight stay, The Baraset Barn, Alveston

Summer Garden Afternoon Tea, The Ivy, Winchester