Mother's Day Lunch, White Horse, Romsey

By now, I'm sure it's rather obvious that I enjoy going to the White Horse Brasserie in Romsey (WHR). However, this weekend I decided to take my beautiful mum for lunch and her first experience at the wonderful WHR.

In the spirit of mummies, WHR had a special cocktail on offer which was Elderflower and Pomegranate Fizz. I love drinks with elderflower due to them being so refreshing so I was really looking forward to this. It was perfectly sweet and fresh and the perfect beverage to sip on whilst perusing the menu. Here is a little photo of me and my mummy...I've been told we look alike! 

 


Again, due to it being Mothering Sunday, the WHR had a special menu on offer. The menu was £35 per person for 3 courses with an amuse-bouche to start. They also offer a smaller option for Children. 


The amuse-bouche was watercress and potato. However, it had hints of pea and the texture of a leek and potato soup. It was delicious and nice way to start the meal alongside some fresh sourdough, white and wholemeal breads. My mum also has a gluten intolerance so she had her own gluten free bread selection which she said was the best gluten free bread she had ever eaten. Normally, gluten free bread can be quite dry and lack in bounce, but she said it felt like she was actually eating 'normal' bread. So she was very pleased, a great start!

Amuse-bouche with bread selection

For my own starter, I picked the Chicken and Herb Ravioli, Braised Leeks and Truffle Butter Sauce. For me, the leeks stole the show. They were so flavourful and really complimented the delicate taste of the pasta and chicken. Just one parcel was more than enough when you have a further two courses to go. 

Chicken and Herb Ravioli, braised leeks and truffle butter sauce

My mum opted for the Pressed Ham Terrine with Orange Marmalade and Pickled Shallots. This isn't something I would have tried, but when I had a little mouthful I have to admit I had serious food envy. The meat was so juicy and full of flavour and the orange marmalade was bursting with a zesty tang.

Pressed Ham Terrine with Orange Marmalade and Pickled Shallots

On to mains, and I opted for the Haunch of Hampshire Venison with Potato Fondant, Savoy Cabbage, Cauliflower Puree and Juniper Jus. The venison was beautifully cooked and melted in the mouth. My only 'moan' is that I wish there had been every so slightly more meat, maybe just an extra slice to bulk up the course. My husband had the same dish for his main and felt the same way. 

Haunch of Hampshire Venison with Potato Fondant, 
Savoy Cabbage, Cauliflower Puree and Juniper Jus 
(vegetables were delivered in separate dishes)

For her main, my mum had the Roasted Pork Fillet, Pomme Puree, Roasted Carrot and Kale Pesto, which was all gluten free. The pork was very tender but it would have been nice to have a little bit more veg. 

Her partner on the other hand had Roast Sirloin of Beef, Yorkshire Pudding and Horseradish which was absolutely massive! All of which he said he was very happy with and I have to admit, I was impressed he managed to eat it all! Just look at the size of the Yorkshire Pudding!! 

Roast Sirloin of Beef, Yorkshire Pudding and Horseradish

Having had their dark chocolate delice on a number of occasions, we decided to be a bit boring and stick to what we know. So 3 of us have the Dark Chocolate Delice with Blood Orange Sorbet and Caramelised White Chocolate...although I don't recall there being any white chocolate. I defiantly feel like the recipe has changed for this one versus other times we have had this dessert. Regardless, it was still extremely lavish the sorbet cut through the chocolatey denseness perfectly.  

Dark Chocolate Delice with Blood Orange Sorbet 
and Caramelised White Chocolate 

We did go a little bit adventurous though and ordered a Frozen Vanilla Parfait Sandwich with Poached Rhubarb and Rhubarb Sorbet which was smooth and sharp all at the same time. 

Frozen Vanilla Parfait Sandwich with Poached Rhubarb and Rhubarb Sorbet

It was really nice to see the WHR looking so busy on Mothering Sunday. Another really nice touch was that there was live music in the form of a Pianist, which really added to the atmosphere. My mum was so pleased with her lunch and felt well and truly spoilt, which lets face it, is the most important thing. Here's to another great meal and making my mummy feel as special as possible. 

I hope you all had a wonderful day on Sunday, whether you were celebrating Mother's Day or not.

 (All pictures taken & owned by SistersDineOut unless otherwise stated)

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner, The Goat, Timsbury

Overnight stay, The Baraset Barn, Alveston

Summer Garden Afternoon Tea, The Ivy, Winchester