Hutong, Hong Kong


Hutong HK and Hutong at the Shard both pride themselves on serving Northern Chinese cuisine ‘against a backdrop of stunning views’. Hong Kong skyline is maybe my favourite skyline in the world because not only does it has some beautiful skyscrapers which make it interesting and unique, from the right place, you also have the backdrop of the mountains which for me, makes it unlike anywhere else I have been before. So good food with stunning views is already a win for me.



The Hutong in Hong Kong is based is TST and is right on the waterfront a short walk from the historic Star Ferry. If you are visiting Hong Kong for the first time, I would really recommend travelling to TST in this manner as it is an experience in itself. The ferry has a history which dates back to around 1880 when it was first used as a commuter system and it doesn’t appear much has changed since then. It is also a really cost-effective way to travel and sightsee at the same time.

Once you have made your way to One Peking, which is the building in which Hutong is based, its up to the 28th floor to access the restaurant. From the moment you walk in, it feels like you have been transported to another world.

When you enter the lobby, you are greeted by a beautiful tree with red letters. The colour red is seen to be a symbol of energy, happiness and good luck and sending red envelopes is a way to send good wishes and luck to people. So this is a really beautiful sign as you walk through the doors.



From here, there are a number of private dining areas for larger parties or business meetings and a number of smaller tables for more ‘casual’ dining. We were lucky enough to visit mid-week, so we were able to pick a table next to the window so we could enjoy the incredible views while eating.



We opted for the ‘Lao Beifang’ menu which is their lunch menu. This is $198HKD (which is around £20) per person and is available from 12.30 – 2.30pm on weekdays. The only bit of confusion we had when ordering was that the menu states that you select 3 appetisers, 2 mains and then ether rice or noodles so we assumed that we could pick these per person, however, you must select these as a group and are given larger portions for the table. Not an issue for us as we all have similar taste, but still worth mentioning.

As a group, we decided on Steamed siu mai with scallop, Steamed Matsutake mushroom Bao, Shrimp, kimchi & mozzarella spring roll, Wok-fried duck with rice cracker, Black truffle beef tenderloin with Yunnan mushrooms with rice.


Steamed siu mai with scallop & Steamed Matsutake mushroom Bao

Where to start with the description of the food? Everything was unbelievable. My personal favourite was the Wok-fried duck with rice cracker. I think the main reason was I didn’t really know what to expect with this dish and how it would work flavour wise with the rice cracker. But the cracker provided a perfect little plate for my food and the crunchiness with the rice flavours of the duck where pure bliss.



Wok-fried duck with rice cracker
Since my trip to Hong Kong I have also developed a real love for Bao. For another who hasn’t hear of or tried a Bao, they are a soft, fluffy steamed bun that are filled, generally with a meat-based filling (there will be another blog up looking specifically at Bao’s soon, so keen an eye out for that one if you want to know more about them!). The Bao at Hutong was no exception to this new found love.


Black truffle beef tenderloin with Yunnan mushrooms

The services was very quick, although, as I mentioned above, we ate midweek so it wasn't very busy. Overall, I really enjoyed my experience at Hutong. They also do a Sunday brunch which is on my list of things to do and I ideally would like to try the Hutong in London to compare and see if they are similar. I thought the quality of the food was worth far more than $198HKD and I would have happily paid more. The view is defiantly an added perk and I should imagine this really makes a big difference when dining at night, but during the day, it did add too much to the experience and I think for me, this may have been because there are so many restaurants in Hong Kong that have the amazing views. Like I say, it would be interesting to try to London Hutong! Maybe a visit required for when I am next there.



All pictures taken & owned by SistersDineOut

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner, The Goat, Timsbury

Overnight stay, The Baraset Barn, Alveston

Summer Garden Afternoon Tea, The Ivy, Winchester