Lunch, Hubbox Portsmouth

Last weekend we headed down to Gunwharf Quays Designer Outlet in Portsmouth for a shopping trip. Shopping, as I'm sure you know, is hungry work! So after a few hours of bargain hunting we headed for a bit of lunch at Hubbox. This is the first time I have heard of Hubbox but I was lured in by their menu.


When we were seated, I was interested to see that Hubbox is actually part of a chain that was started in Cornwall and has celebrated massive success over the past few years. According to the CornwallLive.com, 'founder Richard Boon opened The Hub in St Ives in 2003 and then hatched the idea for Hubbox, a burger restaurant in a container on Truro's Lemon Quay in 2012'. You can read the full article here.

Cornwall is still the centre of their brand and their DNA and they are proud to show it, which I think is great. Their current chain spans across the south coast, see the picture below:


After stalking a number of meals that passed our table (all of which looked amazing!) we finally settled on burgers with a side of fries. We decided to share a bowl of fries because portion sizes looked pretty big.

XL Bacon Double Cheese Burger (back)
Chilli Cheese Fries (middle)
Buttermilk Chicken Burger (front)

My other half went for the XL Bacon Double Cheese Burger which is 2 x 6oz beef patty, Warre's smoked bacon, American-style burger cheese, lettuce and BBQ Sauce. The meat used for this burger is supplied by Philip Warren of Launceston and is traditionally farmed along the Cornwall and Devon Border, according to the menu.

The pattys were juicy and so flavourful and even though the restaurant was busy and the service was quite slow, the food was still fresh. By the time it arrived I was worried it was going to lack in quality because the chefs may have been trying to rush to catch up, but there was not one thing I would complain about. Which to be honest, is actually why I didn't complain at the end of the meal and instead asked the waitress to send my compliments to the chef.


I went for the Buttermilk Chicken Burger which is a crispy buttermilk-fried chicken breast with garlic mayo, lettuce and tomato. First things first, can we take a moment to appreciate the colour of that tomato? I know this might sound weird but look at how bright and fresh it is? It's making sure these sometimes 'less important' bits are of the highest, freshest quality that ensure the perfect burger.

The chicken was so moist you could actually see the juices when you cut into it. The batter was so light but crisp. Everything was perfect. I actually said to the waitress, that I think this may be the best chicken burger I have ever eaten. It was a delight to eat.

For chips, the Chilli Cheese Fries (skin-on fries topped with beef chilli, white onion, decided jalapenos, sour cream and Westcountry cheddar) were the obvious choice. Oh my life, they were DIVINE, the perfect amount of spice and cheese. I could have happily polished off a portion on my own, but I'm glad we shared as I didn't actually need a whole portion, it was just my inner piggy wanting more.

At the end of our meal, the waitress also highlighted the Hubbox App which you can use to pre order food, pay the bill and earn discounts. Because it was our first visit, we have £2.50 off the bill and then the next time, we will have £5.00 off the bill. What a great way to reward your customers!



The other thing that I really liked about Hubbox was their advertisement of designated drivers! It seems like pubs / restaurants are starting to encourage people to think about designated drivers more and more and are making none alcoholic drinks more accepted and available. Hubbox have decided to take some advice from our friends over in Holland, see below:  


As I touched on above, the service was a little bit slow, but the food was so delicious and the staff were so apologetic i couldn't bring myself to complain. I will 100% be going back to Hubbox and cannot wait to eat off their menu again!

(All pictures taken & owned by SistersDineOut unless otherwise stated)

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner, The Goat, Timsbury

Overnight stay, The Baraset Barn, Alveston

Summer Garden Afternoon Tea, The Ivy, Winchester