Dinner, Lainston House, Winchester

Lainston House is situated just outside of Winchester, Hampshire and is part of the Exclusive Collection of luxury hotels. 

The main house dates back to the late 17th century and is so beautiful. It was only turned into a hotel in 1981 and I can't help but wonder what it would have been like to live there when it was still a private residence. 

We visited Lainston in August 2020 to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary and booked in to The Avenue for dinner. We had tied the knot at a local church back in 2015 and then held our reception at Lainston, so thought it would be the perfect place to celebrate. Due to COVID, we weren't 100% sure if our dinner was going to go ahead but luckily, the hotel opened it's doors just in time for our special day. 

Originally, we were due to have the tasting menu, however, the hotel decided that, due to COVID, they would only offer the standard a la carte menu. This was extremely disappointing, however, we are going to return to enjoy the tasting menu at a later date.  

Starters 

Cured Duck Breast, Plum, Kohlrabi, Hazelnut, Yuzu

I love duck, so I was really intrigued to see it paired with hazelnut as this is not two ingredients I would have usually thought to put together. It was beautiful, the nutty flavour with the dark meat and the zesty yuzu was pure perfection.  

Ham Hock, Apple, Yolk Puree, Truffle 

My husband often opts for ham hock when we go out for dinner as a starter and I always wonder why, then when it arrives, I always get food envy. Something about the word 'hock' just really puts me off ordering it. Alas, as per usual, I did get food envy as it was delicious. 

Main Course 

Lamb Rump, Shoulder, Courgette, Tomato, Mint 

A twist on a traditional classic, the lamb dish was pleasant and nice, but forgettable. The jus tied the dish together, but it just didn't wow. 

Halibut, Cauliflower, Creamed Potato, Crab Bisque 

For me, the real star of the show. the Halibut was oozing with flavour. I don't think I've ever had a fish dish that I have enjoyed as much as I enjoyed this. I would happily go back to Lainston to eat 3 courses of this one dish. The medley of flavours when you combined each element of the dish was beyond words. 

Dessert 

Chocolate Mouse, Honey,  Lemon, Ginger

I really enjoyed this dish, however, it was rather heavy even with the lemon and ginger and I actually couldn't finish it. It wouldn't be one I would order again if I was going back for dinner.

Sticky Toffee Pudding, Caramel Sauce, Clotted Cream

However, the sticky toffee pudding, which I assumed would have been heavy, was quite the opposite. I have to say, I was so jealous of my husbands choice. If I thought I had food envy with the Ham Hock, this was a whole other level. Even as I sit here typing, I'm salivating at the thought of this dessert. Light, but filled with flavour. The caramel sauce thick and warming but not stodgy. Heaven in a dish.

Even though it wasn't the dinner we had planned, we still had a wonderful time and the food was incredible. Lainston will always have a special place in my heart as our wedding venue and I can't wait to return to finally get our tasting menu. 

(All pictures taken & owned by SistersDineOut unless otherwise stated)

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner, The Goat, Timsbury

Overnight stay, The Baraset Barn, Alveston

Summer Garden Afternoon Tea, The Ivy, Winchester